Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Work Out Your Salvation With Fear and Trembling

Yesterday as I was preparing a future post I ran smack into a verse that just would not leave me alone. That verse is found in:

Philipians 2:12 (NIV)
"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed-- not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence-- continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling..."

When I couldn't leave this alone I searched every commentary in all of my Study Bibles (NIV, NLT, NASB, NKJV and the Amplified Bible- without commentary) and finally I went to my MacArthur Bible Commentary. Each resource brought something to the table though most resources left out much more than it listed.

It seemed that they didn't want to completely go over the subject. Are there things that we are responsible for in our own salvation? This and many other verses seem to indicate that there is a commitment that we must make and keep. Many verses encourage us to persevere to the end when we will be receive our salvation. If there aren't any requirements of us, why do we need to persevere in faith in the face of adversity?

The trouble here is that we have been taught a truth. Salvation is free, it is by grace through faith and not by works lest anyone boast. Right? Absolutely... however, there are many verses that issue a warning to professing believers about not living in faith. I will list some of them shortly. First, I want you to see what the Amplified Version of the Bible has to say about Philipians 2:12.

Phil 2:12 Amplified Bible
"Therefore, my dear ones, as you have always obeyed [my suggestions], so now, not only [with the enthusiasm you would show] in my presence but much more because I am absent, work out (cultivate, carry out to the goal, and fully complete) your own salvation with reverence and awe and trembling (self- distrust, with serious caution, tenderness of conscience, watchfulness against temptation, timidly shrinking from whatever might offend God and discredit the name of Christ)."

We know that we are not ever going to be able to pay our way into heaven. One good reason is that we have sinned in the past and will sin again in the future even though we became a Christian. So God sent his Son, Jesus, to die in our places so that our sin could be forgiven and we would be made righteous in Gods eyes.

Did Jesus die, however, so that we could live any way that we want. We would all answer no. Everyone that I know that claims to be a Christian would imfatically say no. But, why not? If we are not bound to be obedient to God then why should we be? I mean, you'd be more comfortable doing your own thing wouldn't you? Oh, sure... you would go to church when it wasn't an inconvenience, right?

The Bible clearly states that we are to be new creations:

Ephesians 4:20-24, NIV
"You, however, did not come to know Christ that way. Surely you heard of him and were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus. You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness."

Romans 6:1-4, NIV
"What shall we say then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? By no means! We died to sin, how can we live in it any longer? Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, WE TO MAY LIVE A NEW LIFE." emphasis mine.

... How sinful was your life before you gave your life to Christ? Mine? I was a alcohol drinking, cigarette smoking, lustful, sexually immoral, lying, selfish, money grubbing, self centered, greedy, envious individual. My life is still changing from that life. Did it change instantly? No. In fact, tomorrow I will make another attempt at quiting cigarette smoking. Most of the things that are on that list I have given up. Yet, occasionally I find that old selfishness creeping back in or I may envy someone else's situation. I resist these behaviors as my strength allows and when it gives way, I pray for God's strength in the situation.

What did change instantly and permanently is that I have a relationship with God. I seek him by reading my Bible and studying it and by praying as often as I find a purpose. I found that when I don't... I become distant to him. I avoid him. I become increasingly sinful and seek my flesh. I tend to get angry about little things, I swear and become pessimistic.

On the other hand, when I spend my life seeking God I see the world in a different way. I see it as a dwelling place that I must endure until I can be home with my Father.

That's working out my salvation. It's following through with my commitment to God. That is not to say that I can always be perfect. I sin... but I don't feel I am entitled to. I agree with God's righteous judgment that sin is sin (Romans 7:7-25). I feel Godly sorrow (2 Corinthians 7:9-11) when I sin. I fear God and don't want to disappoint him. Does this sound like the Amplified Versions statement, "...watchfulness against temptation, timidly shrinking from whatever might offend God and discredit the name of Christ."

Am I earning my salvation? Of course not. The Bible says that no one can give to God so that he would owe him anything (Romans 11:35). So even after doing my best not to sin, helping those in need and doing other good works, I still couldn't make it to heaven without Jesus. In fact, by doing everything that I just mentioned and being absolutely perfect (not that that is possible) we are only doing what we are supposed to and God wouldn't owe us anything.

Yet in order to qualify for this free gift that can't be earned we must give Christ our lives and everything in it. We must believe in [trust in, cling to, rely on] Christ. Have faith in him. And do good works (James 2:20-24).

Is your life heading in that direction? If not was it ever? Many verses in the Bible encourage us to persevere through trials and tribulations. Testing is intended to make us grow stronger in our faith. Yet, some, not understanding this point fall away from their faith. James says:

James 5:19-20, Amplified
"[My] brethern, if anyone among you strays from the Truth and falls into error and another [person] brings him back [to God],

Let the [latter] one be sure that whoever turns a sinner from his evil course will save [that one's] soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins [procure the pardon of the many sins committed by the convert]."

God Bless,
Sean

2 comments:

Missy said...

Amen, brother. Amen.

Sean said...

Thank you Missy for your comment.

God Bless,
Sean

 
template by freebloggerdesigns.blogspot.com